Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum

Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum

Andrew L. Tuttle, a lifelong resident of Defiance, Ohio, bequeathed his extensive collection of Native American artifacts, coins, documents, stamps, military memorabilia, and other artifacts, to the city of Defiance with the stipulation a museum would be established in his name. The City accepted the entire collection in 2003 and steps were taken to catalog and stabilize the collection. The Tuttle, as the museum has been nicknamed, officially opened to the public in May 2011. More information can be found at www.tuttlemuseum.com.

The Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum is located at 514 West Third Street,
Defiance, Ohio 43512, 419.782.0746

The museum is open Thursdays: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., the first Sunday of the Month 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tours by Appointment are not available at this time. Closed Holidays

Waterville Historical Society

The Waterville Historical Society (http://www.watervillehistory.org/) collects, preserves, provides access to, interprets and fosters an appreciation of history that has an impact on the Waterville, Ohio and surrounding area. Since 1964 the Waterville Historical Society has played an important role in the Village of Waterville, designated a city in 2012. In 2014 the society celebrated its 50th anniversary and was awarded an Ohio Historical Society Historical Marker commemorating the society on one side and the 1881 Wakeman Hall on the other.

Allen County – Fort Wayne Historical Society

History Center in Fory Wayne

The History Center (https://fwhistorycenter.org/) in Fort Wayne (pictured at left in 1901) is home to the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, including its museum and collections. When formed in 1921, the society had few assets, consisting of some historical relics that had been preserved by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Today we maintain a collection of more than 32,000 artifacts, photographs and documents representing the history of Fort Wayne and Allen County. The largest of these is the very building in which the society has resided since 1980 – the 1893 City Hall building, designed by Fort Wayne architects John F. Wing and Marshall S. Mahurin. The History Center also oversees the adjacent Barr Street Market, the oldest public space in Fort Wayne dating to 1837, and the 1827 home of Miami Chief Jean Baptiste de Richardville.

Columbian House

The historic Columbian House gets a facelift at the hands of owners Tom and Peggy Parker.

Built in 1828 by founding father John Pray as a stagecoach inn, it quickly had additions built onto it so to serve multiple purposes in the years ahead. For nearly 200 years it has been overlooking the original town square and what is still the heart of downtown Waterville, Ohio.

On the National Register of Historic Places it remains on of the finest examples of Federal style architecture.

Wood County Historical Center

All of the wonderful cultural and sports activities one associates with a college town are evident in Bowling Green, home of Bowling Green State University. It is also the county seat. The Wood County Historical Center served as the County Home, providing community services from 1868 until 1970. Among the attractions is an operating drilling rig which tells about the 1880s oil boom.

419-352-0967

Visit the Wood County Historical Center Website

Perrysburg

Platted in 1816 by an act of Congress, this historic community has a splendid showcase of buildings and well-preserved stately homes in a variety of architectural styles. Self-walking tour guides are available. The 577 Foundation, with an 1804 log cabin and a 21st century
geodesic biodome, is fascinating to visit.

419-874-9147

Fort Meigs

Photo courtesy of Toledo.com

Fort Meigs, named after then Governor of Ohio, Return Jonathan Meigs, Jr., was first built as a reaction to British attacks on American forts in the Northwest Territory during the War of 1812. It was built in what is now Perrysburg, Ohio, on a bluff overlooking the Maumee River rapids. Ground was broken on February 2, 1813 under the orders of General William Henry Harrison, who wanted to fortify the region. Throughout the next three months professional soldiers and militiamen alike persevered through cold winter weather and mud that would at times be knee-deep. Despite horrid weather and disease in the camp, the American army was able to complete Fort Meigs by the end of April, 1813, just in time for a British attack.

419-874-4121

Visit the Fort Meigs Website

Fallen Timbers Battlefield

The Battle of Fallen Timbers was the culminating event that demonstrated the tenacity of the American people in their quest for western expansion and the struggle for dominance in the Old Northwest Territory. The events resulted in the dispossession of American Indian tribes and a loss of colonial territory for the British military and settlers.

418-535-3050

Visit the Fallen Timbers Website